Monday, March 8, 2010

fashion fades, only style remains the same...

On Sunday night I headed off to the French Film Festival to see Coco Chanel & Igor Stravinsky (not to be mistaken for Audrey Tautou's Coco Chanel). What an amazing movie! Although Doreen and I both agreed that you had to be a lover of classical music or fashion for it to really move you, I think most people in the audience enjoyed it. The first part of the movie portrayed events that happened on the premiere night of Rite of Spring. I was on the verge of tears a few times as the music and images in the opening part of the film were so powerful. I wanted to shout 'you fools!' at the audience in the movie.

The rest centered around Chanel and Stravinsky's affair and briefly touched on the making of 'Chanel no. 5'. We laughed when the audience gasped at the first mention of 'Chanel no. 5' but no one batted an eyelid when Diaghilev or Nijinsky were mentioned! It's only smelly water...

The picture below is a photograph of Chanel, Stravinsky and friends. Stravinsky is the man looking directly at the photographer with his hand over his mouth and Chanel is looking at the man at the front of the picture. The actor who played Stravinsky was much more handsome...

I road tested another cafe today that is actually in my suburb! Tom Phat, on Sydney Road in Brunswick, is a gorgeous cafe that specialises in Thai-style food. Service was great and my coffee was really smooth and creamy. There was a lovely atmosphere and I loved the asian inspired mural on the wall. We only grabbed a couple of coffees, but I'll definately be making a trip back to try some of the food :)

My idee fixe(s): Art deco (still)
Wearing bright red lipstick on a rainy day
1920's inspired cloches

No comments:

Post a Comment